Our review is designed to help you maximize your score on the General Surgery Exam. StatPearls questions and articles are linked directly to The American Board of Surgery® and AOA Board of Surgery® content outlines. Each review course is designed to empower you to assess your knowledge and understanding of medical principles and concepts found on the General Surgery Exam.
We have 4,739 Multiple-choice 1st, 2nd, and 3rd order questions with four detailed teaching points linked to 1,973 PubMed indexed review articles related to the General Surgery Examination. You can customize practice questions to anatomical and clinical General Surgeon subject areas. In addition, you will have access to a 250 question pre- and post-test General Surgery Exam to help you target learning and identify areas that need further study. Analytics and reports allow you to compare your scores to other students.
Achieve top scores
The StatPearls general surgery prep questions, general surgery review questions, and general surgery test questions will help you achieve a top score on the General Surgery Examination. 1,824 authors and 35 editors have contributed to the development of the General Surgery Exam content, which is continuously refined and updated to improve your learning experience.
General Surgery Exam Overview
How many hours is the General Surgery Exam?
The General Surgery Exam is 8 hours.
How many questions is the General Surgery Exam?
The General Surgery Exam is 300 questions.
What topics are covered on the General Surgery Exam?
Topics include: Abdomen - 12%, Alimentary Tract - 15%, Endoscopy - 2%, Breast - 7%, Endocrine - 5%, Skin - 2%, Critical Care - 10%, Trauma - 8%, Vascular - 7%, Transplantation - 2%, Thoracic - 2%, Pediatric - 2%, Head and Neck - 2%, Subspecialties - 4%, Applied Science - 13%, Preop and Periop - 2%, and Miscellaneous - 5%
General Surgery Exam MCQs (4,739)
Our question bank for the General Surgery Exam covers four Cognitive Difficulty Levels:
- Allergy and Immunology - 44 questions
- Cardiovascular - 694 questions
- Connective Tissue - 129 questions
- Ears Nose and Throat - 272 questions
- Endocrine and Metabolic - 268 questions
- Eyes - 28 questions
- Gastrointestinal - 1927 questions
- Genetics - 48 questions
- Genitourinary - 277 questions
- Growth and Development - 57 questions
- Gynecologic - 185 questions
- Hematologic - 198 questions
- Infectious - 445 questions
- Integument - 458 questions
- Musculoskeletal - 900 questions
- Nervous - 528 questions
- Nutrition - 71 questions
- Obstetric - 54 questions
- Oncologic - 794 questions
- Psychiatric Mental Health - 33 questions
- Pulmonary - 410 questions
- Renal - 115 questions
- Surgery - 2015 questions
- Toxicology - 94 questions
- Trauma - 1277 questions
- Manage Care and Comply Regulations - 193 questions
- Promote Safety and Minimize Infection - 27 questions
- Health Promotion & Maintenance (Prevent Problems) - 76 questions
- Basic Care and Comfort (Assist Daily Living Tasks) - 28 questions
- Pharm/Parenteral Therapy (Drugs/Vital Signs) - 268 questions
- Reduction Risk (Post Procedure) - 127 questions
- Physiological Adaptation (Care Ill Patients) - 2018 questions
- Psychosocial (Mental Health Patient/Family) - 15 questions
- Process (Analysis, Assess, Eval, Implement, Plan) - 2327 questions
- Caring (Hope and Support) - 3 questions
- Communication/Documentation (Oral, Written, EMR) - 27 questions
- Teaching/Learning (Promotes Behavior Change) - 10 questions
- Culture/Spiritualilty (Beliefs, Practices, Ethics) - 7 questions
- Causes - 2101 questions
- Classification - 631 questions
- Differential - 2197 questions
- Epidemiology - 96 questions
- Evaluation Diagnostic Tests - 861 questions
- Evaluation Lab - 837 questions
- Evaluation Monitoring - 414 questions
- Evaluation Nuclear Medicine - 40 questions
- Evaluation Procedures - 861 questions
- Evaluation Radiologic - 1853 questions
- Health Maint Prevention Public Health - 78 questions
- History Physical - 4842 questions
- Legal - 27 questions
- Pathophysiology - 2004 questions
- Patient Education - 141 questions
- Prognosis Complications - 2956 questions
- Toxicology - 69 questions
- Treatment Medical - 1463 questions
- Treatment Occupation/Physical Therapy - 15 questions
- Treatment Prehospital - 61 questions
- Treatment Radiation - 39 questions
- Treatment Rehabilitation - 18 questions
- Treatment Surgical - 2264 questions
- Healthcare Ethics - 42 questions
- Clinical Education - 183 questions
- Therapeutics (Drug treatment) - 162 questions
- Biostatics and Calculations - 3 questions
- Drug Information - 160 questions
- Pharmaceutics (Safely dosing medications) - 87 questions
- Pharmacokinetics (Drug movement in body) - 14 questions
General Surgery Exam Articles (1,973)
The parathyroid glands were first identified in animals in the mid-1880s. Felix Mandl performed the first parathyroidectomy in Vienna in 1925. Sinc ...
Ulnar collateral ligament injuries of thumb were first described in gamekeepers who sustained the injury from the repetitive nature of breakin ...
Digital amputation is often associated with traumatic injuries but is also seen within the elective surgery setting, such as cancer resection ...
Breast cancer is a common diagnosis, with 252710 new invasive cases and 63410 in situ cases diagnosed annually, according to the American Cancer So ...
The white ramus communicans (pl. white rami communicantes), which is also known as the white communicating branch or the white communicating r ...
Nitrous oxide is an odorless, colorless, non-flammable gas. While nitrous oxide is not flammable, it will support combustion to the same exten ...
Facial nerve palsy is a common presentation to primary care providers, the emergency department, and otolaryngologists. Trauma accounts for 10% to ...
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is the formation or presence of a thrombus in the deep veins. DVT occurs mostly in the lower extremities and to a&n ...
Branchial cleft cysts are congenital epithelial cysts that comprise approximately one-third of congenital neck masses. They are benign lesions and ...
A pericardial cyst is typically considered a congenital anomaly, with most patients diagnosed via incidental findings on routine chest imaging. Rar ...
Adrenal crisis, also termed acute adrenal insufficiency is an acute life-threatening condition with a mortality rate of 0.5/100 patients/year. ...
The definition of hypothermia is an involuntary drop in body temperature below 35C. Accidental hypothermia is not limited to regions or times of se ...
The larynx is a well-protected structure surrounded by mandible, sternum, and cervical spine. Its elasticity and mobility add to its protection.
The definition of a flap is a piece of tissue with a defined blood supply, which differentiates it from a graft, where a piece of tissue is freed f ...
Joseph R Lee MD Assistant Professor Residency Program Director East Tennessee State Un College of Med American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) Clinical Fellowship in Transplantation Surgery, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) Johnson City TN
Sebastiano Cassaro MD Associate Clinical Professor Surgery Residency Program Director UN California Irvine / Kaweah Delta FACS Visalia CA
Tanya Egodage MD Assistant Professor of Surgery Cooper University Hospital Camden NJ
Become a better professional with answer explanations and articles that enable you to master the material.
Test Exams & Unlimited Quizzes
Assess where your strong and generate practice questions where you are weak.
Questions and teaching points are continuously updated.
Actionable information on where to improve.
No credit card required