This activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of nurses.
At the conclusion of this activity, the learner will be better able to:
- Describe the rising prevalence of obesity and its implications on our healthcare system as well as the role of bariatric surgery in the treatment of obesity and its comorbidities.
- Outline an interprofessional approach to preoperative evaluation of roux-en-y gastric bypass and the indications/contraindications of the operation.
- Review the technical steps of a roux-en-y gastric bypass and the resultant mechanical and physiologic changes that result in weight loss and improvement in obesity-related comorbidities.
- Explain the importance of collaboration and communication amongst the interprofessional team to ensure appropriate selection of candidates for roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery and to enhance postoperative management.
Author(s) / Contributors Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest
Hover over the contributor names to see details and disclosures of any financial relationships they have with commercial interests related to the content of this continuing education activity. All of the relevant financial relationships listed for these individuals have been mitigated.
COMMERCIAL SUPPORT: This activity has received NO commercial support.
- Authors: Benjamin Mitchell
- Editors: Nishant Gupta
- Editors-In-Chief: Danna FlowersNora Welch
Chief Medical Reviewer: Saran Lotfollahzadeh
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Sandra Coleman
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Bernadette Makar
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Dorothy Caputo
- Pharmacy Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Mark Pellegrini
- Physician Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Scott Dulebohn
Continuing Education Accreditation Information
Credit provided by AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare, and StatPearls Publishing, LLC.
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare and StatPearls Publishing, LLC. AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Nurses: This activity is designated for 1.00 ANCC contact hours
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing and a money-back guarantee is provided if not completely satisfied.
- StatPearls and AKH reserve the right to cancel any course due to unforeseen circumstances. StatPearls and AKH will not be responsible for other expenses incurred by the participant in the unlikely event that the program is canceled.
- StatPearls and AKH are Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action / Equal Access Institutions.
Medium or Media Used:
- Computer Requirements: Internet Access
- E-mail Address
Instructions for Credit
- Register for the activity and create a StatPearls login.
- Review the required accreditation information: Target audience, learning objectives, and disclosure information.
- Complete the entire self-study activity.
- Complete the post-test assessments.
- Successfully pass the post-test with a minimum score of 100%.
- Complete the evaluation form.
- Obtain a certificate.
StatPearls and AKH adhere to provider standards regarding commercial support of continuing education. It is the policy of StatPearls and AKH that the faculty and planning committee disclose real or apparent conflicts of interest relating to the topics of this educational activity, that relevant conflict(s) of interest are resolved and also that authors and editors will disclose any unlabeled/unapproved use of drug(s) or device(s) during their presentation.
The information provided for this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical/clinical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
- If you have concerns regarding the CE system, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 727-289-9796.
- If you have concerns regarding CE, please contact email@example.com or call AKH 877-AKH-CME4.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Policy:
It is the policy of AKH Inc. to ensure independence, balance, objectivity, scientific rigor, and integrity in all of its continuing education activities. The author must disclose to the participants any significant relationships with ineligible companies whose products or devices may be mentioned in the activity or with the commercial supporter of this continuing education activity. Identified conflicts of interest are mitigated by AKH prior to accreditation of the activity. AKH planners and reviewers have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use:
This educational activity may include discussion of uses of agents that are investigational and/or unapproved by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
This course is designed solely to provide the healthcare professional with information to assist in his/her practice and professional development and is not to be considered a diagnostic tool to replace professional advice or treatment. The course serves as a general guide to the healthcare professional, and therefore, cannot be considered as giving legal, nursing, medical, or other professional advice in specific cases. AKH Inc. specifically disclaim responsibility for any adverse consequences resulting directly or indirectly from information in the course, for undetected error, or through participant's misunderstanding of the content.
Media Usage Rights
The contributors and editors of StatPearls have attested that all associated media (images and video) have been legally cleared for use with this activity. All copyrights are reserved.
- Name: 'Gastric_Bypass,_Roux_en-Y.jpg' Attribution: Contributed by Wikimedia Commons, Ethicon Endosurgery, Inc.