This activity has been designed to meet the educational needs of individuals in nursing.
At the conclusion of this activity, the learner will be better able to:
- Describe the importance of rapid defibrillation in ventricular fibrillation and pulseless ventricular tachycardia.
- Outline the principles involved in the termination of ventricular fibrillation or pulseless ventricular tachycardia with defibrillation.
- Summarize the technique of cardiac defibrillation in a patient experiencing sudden cardiac arrest secondary to ventricular dysrhythmia.
- Explain the importance of the interprofessional team to ensure the appropriate selection of candidates for rapid defibrillation and the role of teaching early defibrillation as part of out-of-hospital resuscitation.
StatPearls requires everyone who influences the content of an educational activity to disclose relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies that have occurred within the past 24 months. All relevant conflict(s) of interest have been mitigated. Hover over contributor names for financial disclosures.
COMMERCIAL SUPPORT: This activity has received NO commercial support.
- Authors: Amandeep Goyal, Lovely Chhabra
- Editors: Jeffrey S. Cooper
- Editors-In-Chief: Silvia OakesJohn R. LundeKristen Ponichtera
Chief Medical Reviewer: Intisar Ahmed
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Sandra Coleman
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Bernadette M. Makar
- Nurse Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Dorothy Caputo
- Pharmacy Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Mark V. Pellegrini
- Physician Planner/Reviewer/Editor:Scott C. Dulebohn
Continuing Education Accreditation Information
Credit provided by Continuing Education, Inc, and StatPearls, LLC.
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been jointly planned and implemented by Continuing Education, Inc./University at Sea® and StatPearls, LLC. Continuing Education, Inc, is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity is designated for 1.00 ANCC contact hours.
Instructions for Credit
- Register for the activity and create a StatPearls login.
- Review the target audience, learning objectives, and disclosure information.
- Study the educational content in the activity.
- Choose the best answer to each activity test question. To receive credit, you must pass the test questions with a minimum score of 100%.
- Complete the post-activity assessment.
- Obtain a certificate.
For information on applicability and acceptance of continuing education credit for this activity, please consult your professional licensing board.
- If you have concerns regarding the CE system, please contact email@example.com
- If you have concerns regarding CE, please contact Connie@continuingeducation.net
Faculty may discuss investigational products or off-label uses of products regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration. Readers should verify all information before employing any therapies described in this educational activity.
The information provided for this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical/clinical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The information presented does not necessarily reflect the views of StatPearls or any commercial supporters of educational activities on statpearls.com. StatPearls specifically disclaims responsibility for any adverse consequences resulting directly or indirectly from information in the course, for undetected error, or through a participant's misunderstanding of the content.
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received in writing and a money-back guarantee is provided if not completely satisfied.
- StatPearlsand and Continuing Education, Inc, reserve the right to cancel any course due to unforeseen circumstances. StatPearls and Continuing Education, Inc, will not be responsible for other expenses incurred by the participant in the unlikely event that the program is canceled.
Medium or Media Used:
- Computer Requirements: Internet Access
- E-mail Address
- StatPearls and Continuing Education are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Institutions.
Media Usage Rights
The contributors and editors of StatPearls have attested that all associated media (images and video) have been legally cleared for use with this activity. All copyrights are reserved.
- Name: 'Defibrillation and pacer pads adult and pediatric.png' Attribution: Contributed by Tammy J. Toney-Butler, RN, CEN, TCRN, CPEN
- Name: '20090507123232!Defibrillation_Electrode_Position.jpg' Attribution: Contributed by Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)
- Name: 'double defibrillation.png' Attribution: Image courtesy Dr Chaigasame